Tuesday, May 3, 2011

PACKING


Today's Pre-planning concern is PACKING! I'm determined not to throw out my back or dislocate my shoulder due to lifting, lugging and hoisting a ridiculously heavy bag (as is my usual way to travel for ONE NIGHT).

Here's my luggage plan:
1 (one) light large bag to be checked
1 (one) carry on size back to well, carry onto the plane (will include a change of clothes in case the unthinkable happens - lost luggage!)
1 (one) soft bag to carry on (to hold a purse (which is a black backpack I'm borrowing from my stepmother), cosmetics, things for the plane travel - which includes a light cashmere throw and a neck roll).

OK, so THAT'S the easy part. Now comes the difficulty (especially for someone who is obsessed with what's the latest) - what to pack for a 2 week trip to Italy in the summer. I'm going with a black color scheme. Here's what I've come up with and hope to be successful with:

*4 pair of shoes (black flip flops, pewter walking sandals, dressier flat black sandals, and a pair of dreaded walking shoes since we're hiking in Cinque Terre - I chose Jambu-Oddessy from Zappos)
*3 scarves (one is large enough to be a coverup over bathing suit and/or a light wrap on plane)
*3 dresses (all 3 can go from day to night with accessory changes)
*4 pair of shorts (black, turquoise, khaki and jean)
*8 tops (tees and tanks 0 all to coordinate with black, tan)
*2-3 skirts (black, black and white and a casual tan)
*2 pajamas
*14 pair of underwear
*3-4 bras
*bathing suit
*2 light cardigans
*1 pair of black cropped pants
*2 pair of slipper socks
*1 small purse for night
*minimal jewelry (everything I bring I'll be wearing on the plane)

Other necessities:
DOCUMENTS AND MONEY
*passport
*ATM card
*2 credit cards
*itinerary
*airline tickets
*medical insurance cards
*hotel reservation confirmations
*~300 euro exchanged PRIOR to departure (can get at the airport)
*copies of EVERYTHING!

ELECTRONICS
*laptop
*ipad (used for reading books)
*camera and charger
*cell phone and charger
*hairdryer and curling iron
*adapter
*batteries

PERSONAL ITEMS
*travel pillow
*sunglasses
*reading glasses
*cosmetics and pouch
*toiletry kit (toothpaste, toothbrush etc)
*medicines

OTHER
*Phrase book
*maps
*kleenex
*2 "throw away" or "green" nylon bags with handles
*XL plastic baggies
*Woolite pouches
*wipes
*hand sanitizer

I'm not packing my husband's, son's or daughter's suitcases, but while my daughter can use the above guidelines, I thought I'd research what to pack for men.

*three to four pair trousers (one should be navy or black, one should be a pair of khakis)
*one pair lightweight jeans
*short-sleeved button down shirts (perhaps washable silk or cotton blend)
*assorted short-sleeved knit polo's/crew necks
*assorted cotton T-shirts
*one long-sleeve button down dress shirt
*3-4 pair shorts
*belt
*swim trunks
*1 pair walking shoes (can be a nice pair of tennis shoes)
*one pair "dress" shoes
*1 pair of sandals/flip flops

No comments:

Post a Comment